Mr. Cellophane

In a location adjacent to a place in a city of some significance, what comes out of my head is plastered on the walls of this blog.

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Notes...on a scandal.

As I've made fairly clear, I love film music and, on top of the CD releases I have yet to buy, specialty labels are putting out titles faster than I can drool over them.

The next few days will see releases from Varese, Intrada and La La Land, in that order. Such a confluence has inspired me to post about it.

Of the regular CD releases, I still have yet to obtain Leap Year, Brooklyn's Finest, Kick-Ass, Iron Man 2, Knight and Day, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Salt, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Piranha 3D, Megamind and Unstoppable.

As far as specialty releases, I still need to get White Dog, Outland, Yellowbeard, Red Sonja, Haunted Honeymoon, Conan the Barbarian and North Dallas Forty. (This is but a mere surface scratching of the aforementioned multitude of releases.)

Of course, this would be the time of year to be shopping for Christmas gifts.

Varese Club - 4:01am


Home Movies (One of the rare Donaggio comedy scores and a damn fine one. Its 1000-unit run is extra incentive to get it.)

The Karate Kid (One of Conti's seminal scores...but given the $60 dollars I dropped on the box set of all four KK scores from a few years ago, I'm gonna have to leave this alone.)

Taps (Not a bad sounding score from the clips I've heard, but nothing's grabbing me.)

Family Plot (A lot of people have been waiting for this and the clips sound interesting...so I'll wait until it's on the verge of selling out to make my move.)

Intrada - 9:03pm


First Blood (Over the last year, this has climbed over several other scores to nestle itself in my top five favorite Goldsmith scores. Thankfully, it's an unlimited release, so I can bide my time, and hopefully, the little extras that accompany this new version will be worth my while.)

Black Sea Raid (Never heard of the film, which sounds like it would've been perfect fodder for Action Pay Per View*. However, any of this label's special releases of a Richard Band or a Terry Plumeri score are automatic buys for me. This title - from the latter - doesn't sound quite as impressive as his Scarecrows.)

* - Damn, I'm old.

La La Land - 6:36pm


Jade (Widely regarded as one of James Horner's weakest scores, yet here it is at 3000 units, or, at least, it will be come Tuesday. Legend has it that Horner and director William Friedkin didn't see eye-to-eye and that the composer wrote a deliberately bad score to cheese the director off. The late Jerry Goldsmith once said something about people collecting CDs like bottlecaps. Mission accomplished.)

Batman Returns (Now, this is more like it! A fine companion piece to this year's release of Batman...and from the same label, yet. I'll definitely be picking this one up. Bonus: no worse-than-retarded placement of the track listings!)

Star Trek V: the Final Frontier (I'd have preferred a release of the complete soundtrack to The Motion Picture...but many people speak highly of this effort, so, maybe I'll give it a shot.)

Home Alone (Wait, what?)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home