- Whole lotta softball jokes, here.
- Finally, a good bit. Paraphrased: "The most important things are family, friends and love. If you don't have those things, you go into showbiz."
- Either, it was the material or Ellen's been away from the stand-up game for too long, but I couldn't be happier that awards are finally being presented. Anne Hathaway presenting Best Supporting Actor.
- The Oscar goes to...Jared Leto! Oscar pooling aside, this is going to surprise "My So-Called Life" fans who thought that Claire Danes would be the first to an Oscar.
- Next presenter, Jim Carrey. Not sure what movie he was referencing.
- A look at animated heroes.
- Kerry Washington introduces Pharrell Williams performing "Happy" from Despicable Me 2
- "No, I don't want to see it." "What's the big deal?" - Ellen and Jonah Hill.
- Naomi Watts and Samuel L. Jackson present Best Costume Design.
- The Oscar goes to...Catherine Martin for The Great Gatsby
- The Oscar for Hair and Make-Up goes to...Dallas Buyers Club
(1/24)! For likely the reasons I cited.
- To the slowest-ever rendition of "The Raiders March", Harrison Ford takes the stage, summarizing three of the Best Picture nominees.
- Channing Tatum introduces a group of potential filmmakers.
- Kim Novak (introduced to "Scene d'Amour" from Vertigo
; I wonder what she has to say about that) and Matthew McConaughey present Best Animated Short Subject.
- The Oscar goes to..."Mr. Hublot".
- And now, Best Animated Feature. The Oscar goes to...Frozen
- Sally Field introduces a montage of true story movies.
- Emma Watson and Joseph Gordon-Levitt present Best Visual Effects. The Oscar goes to...Gravity
(3/24)! There you go.
- Zac Efron introduces Karen O.
- Kate Hudson and Jason Sudeikis present Best Live-Action Short Subject. The Oscar goes to...Helium
(4/24)! I really ought to consider making a short film.
- The Oscar for Best Documentary Short Subject goes to..."The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life" (5/24)! Was that Silvestri's Forrest Gump
accompanying the filmmakers on their way to the stage?
- Bradley Cooper presents Best Documentary Feature, which goes to..."20 Feet from Stardom".
- Kevin Spacey tells of the Honorary awards bestowed in a separate ceremony.
- Ewan McGregor and Viola Davis present Best Foreign Language Film. The Oscar goes to...The Great Beauty
(6/24)! Hooray for blind guessing. (Given some of the 'brutally honest Oscar ballots' I've seen in the last few days, I should fit right in.)
- Tyler Perry tells us about Nebraska
- Brad Pitt introduces U2.
- Michael B. Jordan and Kristen Bell tell of the Scientific and Technical Awards.
- Chris Hemsworth and Charlize Theron present Best Sound Mixing. The Oscar goes to...Gravity
- The Oscar for Best Sound Editing goes to...Gravity
- Christoph Waltz presents Best Supporting Actress.
- The Oscar goes to...Lupita Nyong'o (9/24)! This should make up nicely for how wasted she was in Non-Stop
- I'm sorry, are these Oscars interrupting your pizza party?
- The first Black female president of the Academy Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, Cheryl Boone Isaacs.
- Amy Adams and Bill Murray present Best Cinematography. The Oscar goes to...Emmanuel Lubezki for Gravity
- Anna Kendrick and Gabourey Sidibe present Best Editing. The Oscar goes to...Alfonso Cuaron and Mark Sanger for Gravity
- Whoopi Goldberg, Judy Garland's kids and Pink pay tribute to The Wizard of Oz
- Jennifer Garner and Benedict Cumberbatch present Best Production Design. The Oscar goes to...Catherine Martin for The Great Gatsby
- The Amazing Spider-Man
theme used to introduce Chris Evans? WTF? Anyway, this next montage looks at heroes.
- Oh, now
they play the Captain America
march. Ai ya!
- Glenn Close introduces In Memoriam.
- And now, Bette Midler.
- Goldie Hawn introduces the last three nominees for Best Picture.
- John Travolta introduces Idina Menzel performing "Let it Go".
- Jamie Foxx and Jessica Biel present Best Original Score. The Oscar goes to...Steven Price for Gravity
. In the back of my mind, I knew this would happen even though I didn't want it to. His music was okay, but not a patch on Newman's Saving Mr. Banks
- The Oscar for Best Song goes to...the Lopezes for "Let it Go" (13/24)!
- Robert DeNiro (saying what all writers were thinking) and Penelope Cruz present Best Adapted Screenplay. The Oscar goes to...John Ridley for 12 Years a Slave
. This is a long way from Undercover Brother
(which was awesome).
- The Oscar for Original Screenplay goes to...Spike Jonze for Her
- Angelina Jolie and Sidney Poitier present Best Director. The Oscar goes to...Alfonso Cuaron for Gravity
- Daniel Day-Lewis presents Best Actress.
- The Oscar goes to...Cate Blanchett for Blue Jasmine
- Jennifer Lawrence presents Best Actor. The Oscar goes to...Matthew McConaughey for Dallas Buyers Club
- Will Smith presents Best Picture. The Oscar goes to...12 Years a Slave
. Did not see that coming.
And so ends another Oscar night. 14 picks out of 24. I'm getting better at this.