Mr. Cellophane

In a location adjacent to a place in a city of some significance, what comes out of my head is plastered on the walls of this blog.

Thursday, February 28, 2019

Andre Previn (1929-2019)

(In advance, my deepest apologies for this rambling anecdote that has little, if anything, to do with the esteemed and departed Mr. Previn, but it is important to have this backstory.)

When I signed up to be a writer for Film Score Monthly Online, I found that I would not be paid in money, but in FSM CDs. Okay. That's fine. Of course, I would need to provide a list of what titles would be sent to me. I checked the list of in-print titles and went through what I didn't already have, listening to various audio clips to see what caught my fancy.

Now, I'd never heard of Dead Ringer outside of the occasional articles on the FSM website. I vaguely knew of Andre Previn as Mia Farrow's husband in her pre-Woody days.

I clicked on the audio file of the "Main Title". Those descending horns. That rapid-fire string work. The slithering harpsichord. Where has this music (and the guy who wrote it) been hiding my whole life?! The theme itself was pretty good, too.

Dead Ringer immediately made my list of titles. I really need to do a deep dive of Previn's work. I picked up Elmer Gantry and I think All in a Night's Work is in my collection somewhere. (Hey, when you occasionally pick up titles indiscriminately, some of them are bound to get lost.)

Farewell, good sir. You shall be missed.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home