Mr. Cellophane

In a location adjacent to a place in a city of some significance, what comes out of my head is plastered on the walls of this blog.

Saturday, March 01, 2014

My Oscar picks.

Picture: Warts and all, I'd give it to The Wolf of Wall Street. However, it's Gravity's show, all the way.
Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio owned The Wolf of Wall Street. Really hope he wins it.
Actress: If this script is anything to go on, there are few films this year that cry out "Give me a fucking Oscar!" as loudly or as shrill as August: Osage County. It looks like a two-girl race between Adams and Blanchett, though if anyone will upset, it's Bullock. Which is to say...Adams.
Supporting Actor: Cooper and Hill were quite good, but I've heard that Fassbender's slave owner was a nasty son of a bitch (Nope, I didn't see 12 Years a Slave; I'm one of those people who likes to enjoy himself when watching a movie.), so...
Supporting Actress: Again, a two-girl race, this time of Lawrence and Nyong'o. I'll say...Nyong'o.
Director: Somehow, I think Alfonso Cuaron will win this.
Original Screenplay: Much as I enjoyed American Hustle, it'll likely go to either of the auteurs in the category.
Adapted Screenplay: Would really like for The Wolf of Wall Street to win.
Cinematography: For once, I don't want Roger Deakins to win the Oscar, just to keep the hateful, unpleasant-looking movie for which he's nominated - Prisoners - to be known as an Oscar-winning movie. Besides, Emmanuel Lubezki for Gravity is the surest bet of the ceremony.
Editing: I'm going to say Gravity on this.
Production Design: Wait, Gravity was nominated in this category?! I'm going with The Great Gatsby.
Costume Design: The Academy loves period pieces, so definitely look for The Invisible Woman to take it. (Despite the title, it's a story about Charles Dickens and his forbidden mistress.)
Animated Feature: Despite a clumsy story turn, this is definitely going to Frozen.
Original Score: I've only heard Thomas Newman's Saving Mr. Banks. As long as he or Alexandre Desplat (Philomena) wins - or they both do - I'll be happy.
Original Song: I don't care what anyone says: Bruce Broughton will always be a double-Oscar nominee to me. However, since he's not officially one anymore..."Let it Go".
Visual Effects: Shit flying through space and fucking shit up. There's only one choice here.
Make-Up: Dallas Buyers Club. No way that a Johnny Knoxville movie is walking away with an Oscar and people will still find ways to cripple The Lone Ranger.
Sound: Gravity.
Sound Effects Editing: Again, Gravity.
Animated Short Subject: I didn't see the program of Short Subjects this year. I saw "Get a Horse!" before Frozen, but it seemed to be more in love with its gimmick than telling a story. Let's say..."Room on the Broom".
Live-Action Short Subject: Just blind guessing, from this point on..."Helium".
Documentary Feature: "The Act of Killing".
Documentary Short Subject: "The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life".
Foreign Film: The Great Beauty.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home