Mr. Cellophane

In a location adjacent to a place in a city of some significance, what comes out of my head is plastered on the walls of this blog.

Monday, August 31, 2026

Funemployed no more.

It’s a situation too familiar to a number of people in real life, to say nothing of television writers: someone is tired/bored with the situation they’re currently in and idly wonder to themselves, ‘Gee, things would be so much nicer if I had a little more time in my life’. (The first thing to come to mind: that episode of “Hey Arnold!” where Harold gets expelled from school.) Then, you get the time and things are fun, at first, but then come the questions: what can I do when I have nothing to do? How long is the money I have supposed to last? How much longer will it be before I get more? What am I supposed to do with this time alone? I don't have any friends!

Well, until a couple weeks ago, this was me. Gaspingly, desperately trying to find a new job after cruelly getting bounced from my old (and cushy) one. Having to take handouts from the state to retain some semblance of solvency.

Then came the 17th. I had an interview for a position. It would be an in-person job at a bank as opposed to a remote one I greatly wanted. No problem. I was on the verge of begging for a customer service job like the one that enshackled me for over a decade, but this one involved interacting with co-workers instead of the general public, so I'll take it!

The staffing service required quite a bit of nonsense: fingerprints, a background check and references (thankfully, I was able to get apparently glowing notices from my former co-worker and supervisor, securing my position), so it seems like I’m all set.

The night before what I assumed was my first day, I get a call from a member of the staffing service. As there were a number of people hired for the business, they were hoping to have us all start at the same time. Well, that time is here. The day after tomorrow (Wednesday), I start on a new job. Regular paychecks. Billing companies getting off my back. Feeling like a man again. An indescribable feeling when these things are taken from you.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home