Mr. Cellophane

In a location adjacent to a place in a city of some significance, what comes out of my head is plastered on the walls of this blog.

Saturday, March 11, 2006

The lucky ones walk out first.

Some new films out this weekend (the term 'new' is used pretty loosely here, I admit): one is yet another remake of an old (read: around 25-30 years old) horror movie, one is an amalgamated remake of two Disney films and one is a romantic comedy where a woman trying to put one over on Matthew McConuaghey falls in love with him, which may as well be a remake.

Allow me to bend your ear about the horror remake, The Hills Have Eyes. Some random points here:

- One review called it "Wolf Creek with Geiger counters instead of 'G'days'." Robert Rodriguez said of WC (if the ads are anything to go by), "As real as horror gets." Now, I think he's a fine filmmaker (the way he makes his films - doing as much as humanly possible - has me in awe and constant envy), and Sin City is perhaps the best film I saw last year, but, to me, one of the great things about horror is that it's not supposed to be real.

- The trailer. There seems to be this disease in modern film: cutting trailers of recent horror remakes that makes them as pretentious as possible. Selling stuff like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Dawn of the Dead (with its incongrously fast zombies, but that's a rant for another time) and The Amityville Horror like it's high art is, to say the least, laughable.

- One of my favorite online writers, Scott Bettencourt, made some interesting points about the previous film from Hills' director, Alexandre Aja, High Tension, so I wouldn't hold my breath for this one to be a classic...but then, I've never been much for horror. (It's none of my business, but if a man can't express an opinion, then what's the purpose of blogging?) They can be found here (scroll down) .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home