Mr. Cellophane

In a location adjacent to a place in a city of some significance, what comes out of my head is plastered on the walls of this blog.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

'Idol' worship?!

Now, if you're a "Fairly Oddparents" fan, like I once was, you already know that the new episode "Fairy Idol" aired last week. All over the net, I've been hearing stuff to the effect of "What a return to form! This was a terrific episode!" First, what glue have those people been sniffing and second, is there some way to have it pulled from shelves immediately?

I understand that, after the unfunny and unpleasant seasons five and six, fans may latch onto something that eschews the stupidity of what has come before. Unfortunately, the fans have traded in unwatchable for awesomely mediocre.

Maybe I've been spoiled by the earlier, funnier episodes...what am I saying? There's no 'maybe' about it. The first season is, by far, the best, not only because of the humor, but because of the character interaction and touching moments which felt genuine, unlike here where a few pretty words somehow equal instant forgiveness. I'm forced to trot out my 'pod person' theory on Butch Hartman and Steve Marmel; there is no friggin' way that the same guys behind the first season also concocted "School's Out" (which "Fairy Idol" resembles to a certain degree), "Channel Chasers" and this. It's just not logical.

One thing I've been hearing about is the return of Cosmo. What return?! He's just as stupid (and his voice as high) as ever, nothing like the first season. Sure, there was that 'magical' comment to Wanda, but a much better scenario would've had him apologizing profusely for his inexplicable nasty comments and actions ("I've been going through a rough patch", "Acid reflux", "The writers' brains are the size of chickpeas", something!).

Also, this episode saw the return of Norm the Genie. The crew was unable to get Norm Macdonald (for whom the character was obviously created), making me wonder just what the point was in bringing him back. Somehow, he managed to get on my nerves here. This is, in no way, a sarcastic remark; he was genuinely funny in the two episodes from - get this - season five.

And I must harp on the title of the episode. Calling it "Fairy Idol" and waiting until the halfway point to live up to that wasn't exactly the brightest idea.

Some people called this a fine curtain call. If anything, it's one more nail in the coffin of this once-hilarious show. If there's anything I want settled before this show lands in rerun purgatory, it's why Butch and Steve felt the need to demonize Vicky and cast her parents as fearful wimps.

Perhaps I'm asking too much from a show designed simply to make me laugh. Then again, in this case, it didn't make me laugh, so I believe I'm completely justified.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home