Mr. Cellophane

In a location adjacent to a place in a city of some significance, what comes out of my head is plastered on the walls of this blog.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

TV-on-DVD round-up.

I know that this would usually be when I post my potential resolutions for the year, but I only have nine so far (I really would like to get to ten). Instead, here's another top ten list I hope to achieve in the next year.

I watch a lot of television, and I hope for a lot of the shows I watch to hit DVD. I'd been hoping for a release of "The Drew Carey Show" and lo and behold... And "MXC" was a true surprise. Here are the shows I would like to see on DVD this year:

The Angry Beavers: The show took a while to find it's footing, and I can only hope that the first season sells well enough to get the later years on DVD. Not that the first season's a wash; episodes like "Deranged Ranger" and "Born to Be Beavers" have their charms, but the later years took a lot of the stuff found here (references to cheesy 50s horror, banter between the brothers, Norb elongating his words) and turned it up to eleven, making it one of Nickelodeon's best ever shows.

Downtown: From "Beavis and Butthead" and "Daria" veteran Chris Prynoski came this enjoyable, well-done animated series. With its real cast of young adults and good writing, I dare say it's MTV's best cartoon. (Yeah, you "Celebrity Deathmatch" disciples can suck it.)

Duckman: I don't think I need to elaborate, given how much I've whined about wanting this show in the past.

Fantasy Island: Even though its Saturday night time slot doomed it, I think that this revamp (from co-producer Barry Sonnenfeld, fresh off of Men in Black) is fantastic, with sharp writing, Malcolm McDowell giving Mr. Roarke a delightfully cruel edge, and a catchy theme from John (The Usual Suspects) Ottman.

Roundhouse: Back when Saturday nights were worth watching on Nickelodeon, there was this uproarious sketch comedy show. All the talented cast needed was one set, a cardboard TV frame and a mobile easy chair to create magic. Nothing more to say than...reprise the theme song and roll the credits.

Sheep in the Big City: This entertainingly low-key Cartoon Network series about a...well, sheep in the big city was packed with colorful characters and dazzling wordplay. Free of the trendy toilet humor and pointless character humiliation of today's cartoons, we may never see the likes of it again...all the more reason why it must be preserved.

6teen: No, several discs with only three episodes each does not count. I'm talking season sets, baby! This quirky Canadian cartoon about a group of friends toiling in mall jobs deserves so much better.

Student Bodies: Speaking of quirky Canadian cartoons...this show mixed amusing live-action with animation to make for an engaging program.

Toonsylvania: Long before anyone at Dreamworks Animation had heard the name Shrek, there was this unusual but hilarious series, with zombies, nasty little girls and the Frankenstein legend filtered through the sensibilities of "Eek! the Cat" co-creator/performer Bill Kopp.

Weird Science: I can only assume that it's the nostalgia talking when people say they prefer the movie, but I gotta say the show was better. Well-written and well-performed by John Mallory Asher, Michael Manasseri, Lee Tergesen and the insanely sexy Vanessa Angel.

Here's hoping for some good news about these shows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home