Mr. Cellophane

In a location adjacent to a place in a city of some significance, what comes out of my head is plastered on the walls of this blog.

Monday, February 26, 2007

Of course I watched the Oscars.

- Ellen did a fantastic job. It should be a good sign that I was hoping she'd host again within the first few minutes.

- The number about comedians and Oscars was a riot. Will Ferrell (who deserved recognition for Stranger Than Fiction), Jack Black and John C. Reilly were terrific and, yes, Marc Shaiman (who co-wrote the song) on piano. It'd be nice to see him return to film scoring.

- Speaking of film scoring, loved the orchestra's take on the Pirates of the Caribbean music. Now if only they used an actual orchestra for the film itself.

- Ennio Morricone's acceptance speech was very lovely (even if I had no real clue what he said), though Clint Eastwood's intro was rather clunky. I know he's not one for speeches, but there were more than a few ill-at-ease moments. Still, the amusement at seeing Exorcist II: the Heretic and Orca mentioned among the credits helped offset the awkwardness.

- Alan Arkin for Best Supporting Actor. I have no complaints. Though not the favorite (Eddie Murphy, and anyone who says that Norbit sabotaged his chances is a mouth-breathing idiot) or my personal pick (Mark Wahlberg), Arkin was terrific and a deserved win.

- Those two Best Picture winners I saw walked away with screenwriting awards. Couldn't be happier.

- Given all the recognition it received, perhaps I should finally check out Pan's Labyrinth. I just hope it's not ruined for me by the hype.

- Honestly, I thought the universe would fold in on itself if Scorcese lost. Thankfully, we're all still here. And how about the presentation of the Best Director Oscar? If he branches out, Lucas could still win one.

- Jack Nicholson...bald. No, really. Holy shit!

I'm sure I'll be adding more later, but these were the main points in my mind. Here's to more fine films celebrated next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home