Mr. Cellophane

In a location adjacent to a place in a city of some significance, what comes out of my head is plastered on the walls of this blog.

Sunday, March 07, 2010

Half-hearted Oscar pix.

Because I have nothing to do, and because I just want to do it, here are my picks for tonight's Oscars, based on little more than hearsay and conjecture. Those are kinds of evidence:

Picture: The Hurt Locker. I'd like it, personally, to be Inglourious Basterds, but I think it'll be this one. It may be as hyped as Avatar, but I think that this actually has the substance to back up such hype.
Actor: Jeff Bridges. It's about time, really.
Actress: Gabourey Sidibe. I liked Sandra Bullock's work in The Blind Side, but I don't see a win in the cards for her.
Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz.
Supporting Actress: Mo'Nique.
Director: Kathryn Bigelow.
Original Screenplay: Up.
Adapted Screenplay: Up in the Air.
Editing: Inglourious Basterds.
Cinematography: Inglourious Basterds.
Art Direction: Sherlock Holmes. If only for the rendering of 221B Baker Street.
Costume Design: Nine. Hey, I love Colleen Atwood's work. Not enough to see the film, mind you, but still...
Animated Feature: The toughest category of the lot...for me, anyway. It'll probably go to Up and I have no problem with that. Really, any of the nominees, even the one I've never heard of, could win and I'd be cool with it. How often does that happen?
Animated Short Subject: "A Matter of Loaf and Death". Really, who's gonna bet against Aardman in this category?
Live Action Short Subject: Miracle Fish.
Foreign Film: A Prophet. It's the only one I've heard of in this category.
Visual Effects: Avatar. Resistance is futile...and speaking of which...
Sound: Star Trek, because this movie ought to get something, don't you think?
Sound Effects Editing: See previous category.
Make-Up: See previous category.
Original Score: Up. Let's face it, if "Married Life" was the only cue that Michael Giacchino wrote for this film, the award would be his. They'll probably pussy out and give it to Avatar, but I'm gonna hold out hope.
Original Song: "Almost There". A lovely tune.
Documentary Short Subject: Music by Prudence.
Documentary Feature: The Cove. Apparently, it was co-produced by Fisher Stevens, who's been in everything from Short Circuit to Hackers to Michelle Pfeiffer.

Best of luck to the nominees. I won't need it since I don't bet on these things.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home