Mr. Cellophane

In a location adjacent to a place in a city of some significance, what comes out of my head is plastered on the walls of this blog.

Friday, February 20, 2015

Oscar. Oscar who? Oscar who's gonna win.

Let's just do this.

Picture: It'll likely go to Boyhood. I just know it.
Actor: A lot of people have said that this will go to Eddie Redmayne, because who doesn't love a good 'challenged person overcoming adversity' performance? I said it at Uproxx and I'm saying it here: 'Fuck that noise. Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice!'.
Actress: Just give it to Julianne Moore, already. Seriously, what is so freaking hard about this?
Supporting Actor: Haven't seen Whiplash, but I hear that J.K. Simmons was phenomenal in it and I'm a fan of him in a lot of other stuff, so...yeah, why not? (Much as I loved Edward Norton in Birdman, there's no sense pissing in the wind.)
Supporting Actress: Though I greatly enjoyed the performances of Keira Knightley and Emma Stone, the smart choice would be Patricia Arquette.
Director: Richard Linklater. In the spaces of a decade of higher-profile movies, he shot Boyhood. Tell me that commitment like that doesn't deserve recognition.
Original Screenplay: Any one of the Best Picture nominees could walk away with this, but I'm thinking...The Grand Budapest Hotel.
Adapted Screenplay: American Sniper, because they're gonna want to give it something.
Cinematography: Much as I love Roger Deakins, the (impressive) trick-shot work of Emmanuel Lubezki on Birdman is far more likely to be recognized.
Art Direction: The Grand Budapest Hotel's sets looked fantastic.
Editing: Despite my desire to edit my own films, it's really anyone's category, here. Let's say Boyhood.
Costume Design: The Grand Budapest Hotel.
Original Score: I had issues with the film, but Alexandre Desplat's score for The Grand Budapest Hotel is unimpeachable. If a GBH sweep is what it takes to get Monsieur Desplat his first (!) Oscar, so be it.
Original Song: "I'll Get You Want You Want (Cockatoo in Malibu)". "Poisonous Love". "For the Dancing and the Dreaming". "A Million Ways to Die". "The Boxtrolls Song". That would've made a kick-ass category. As for the real nominees..."Everything is Awesome". It's happening, folks. Nothing to do but lie back and wait for it to be over.
Sound: Interstellar.
Sound Effects Editing: See above.
Animated Feature: This category isn't going to be as cut and dried as it was last year. This could seriously go to anyone...but Laika is long past due for a reward. The Boxtrolls.
Animated Short Subject: Lamentably, the short films did not end up online like in the past. The only one I've seen was "Feast", so...yeah. "Feast".
Live-Action Short Subject: "Boogaloo and Graham". Just a hunch.
Documentary Short Subject: "Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1".
Documentary Feature: Finding Vivian Maier.
Make-Up: Guardians of the Galaxy. No question.
Visual Effects: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Again, no question.
Foreign Film: I dunno. Ida?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home