Mr. Cellophane

In a location adjacent to a place in a city of some significance, what comes out of my head is plastered on the walls of this blog.

Saturday, October 07, 2017

"You said it was promoting a movie?"

April 1st saw the first episode of the third season of "Rick and Morty". Long story short, Rick expounded on a memorably maddened desire to re-attain Szechuan dipping sauce for McDonald's Chicken McNuggets. Apparently, this was more widely available in the summer of 1998 promoting the movie Mulan.

When it came to fast-food tie-ins from that summer, I was more about Burger King's Rodeo Burger for Small Soldiers (It's onion rings on a cheeseburger! What kind of communist would turn that away?).

Still, the idea of trying this got me excited, so imagine my surprise to hear that McDonald's would be bringing the sauce back for one day - today. Being the lemming that I am, I went to McDonald's in the hopes of seeing what the fuss was about. Given the line at the drive-thru and the crowd outside, I was far from the only curious one. Overhearing, variously, talk that there were only a handful of sauce containers left and that tickets were pre-sold that morning (something I still consider dishonest), I cut my losses and decided to dine elsewhere. (Looking up the locations at Foodbeast, the only other closest location was in Orchard Park and...well, sometimes, you need to know when to give up.)

On the way out, I actually heard someone yell out, 'Fuck McDonald's!'. He struck me as the kind of person who, if not one of those 'Ewww! Cooties! Yucky!' psychos whining about the writing staff, was certainly one of those people convinced that there's a much better third season finale out there than the one that just aired. Fandom is scary.

I've gotten more upset over much less than this. Still, given the time and energy, maybe I (and the others that missed out) could try making the sauce. Once again, Buzzfeed shows us the way.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home