Mr. Cellophane

In a location adjacent to a place in a city of some significance, what comes out of my head is plastered on the walls of this blog.

Monday, September 17, 2018

This ain't a Fall Movie Preview post xXx.

Because I'm bored and because that Toronto post is taking a little longer than I expected, I'm just gonna go and list all the movies I plan on seeing this fall.

Aquaman - DC tries so hard and yet (with rare exceptions) fails so big. I'm really hoping that this is one of the exceptions.

Bad Times at the El Royale - Another movie this year written and directed by a guy named Drew where various shady types converge in a hotel set in a far off time period. If this is even half as good as the other one, I'm in for a fun time.

Bohemian Rhapsody - Who doesn't love Queen? As much as them, I want to see this film because of the involvement of composer-editor John Ottman, who I hope to God has been keeping his nose clean.

Bumblebee - The first Transformers movie that could be genuinely, unironically good. When you plan on 14 of these movies, the law of averages dictates that this was bound to happen.

Can You Ever Forgive Me? - Based on a true story of a woman (Melissa McCarthy) who becomes a sensation after forging letters from famous authors.

The Favourite - I guess this looks like a comedy, but I'm not sure. Still, there's a very charming cast behind it.

The Girl in the Spider's Web - Okay, maybe I've seen the trailer too many times, but the style (from the director of Don't Breathe) is too good to ignore.

The Grinch - Careful. This tea is hot: the CGI-animated Dr. Seuss movies are - in my view - worse than the reviled, live-action adaptations. So why is this on the list? I don't know. I really don't.

Halloween - Even if the latest trailer seemed to give away too many victims, I'm intrigued to see Laurie Strode in survivalist mode. Plus, a brand-new Carpenter score.

The House with a Clock in its Walls - An Amblin-produced kiddie horror movie and the first Eli Roth feature I'll be seeing in a theater (though, if he ever got a full-length version of his "Thanksgiving" trailer off the ground, it would be the second).

Johnny English Strikes Again - No, I haven't seen the first two movies. I'm just curious. I really hope that Howard Goodall's music gets some kind of release.

Night School - David Newman scoring a major studio comedy = cause for celebration. Also, Kevin Hart and Tiffany Haddish look like they have good comic chemistry.

The Old Man and the Gun - Said to be Robert Redford's last film, this looks like a nice, laid-back dramedy. Sundance Kid comparisons are inevitable.

Overlord - A long time ago at Scriptshadow, there was an amateur script about a group of soldiers investigating a German bunker where a scientist has created a body switching machine. Sadly, this is not that movie, though this film looks almost as interesting.

The Predator - Despite less-than-stellar reviews (and a really stupid casting decision; seriously, he should've known better), I'm excited for this movie. A Shane Black directed and (co-)written Predator movie. Just try and keep me away.

Ralph Breaks the Internet - Yeah, it probably should be 'Ralph Wrecks the Internet'. Still, there must be a huge twist that the film's covering up as the advertising focuses on the Princess scenes.

The Sisters Brothers - A Western with Joaquin Phoenix and John C. Reilly as bandits with Jake Gyllenhaal hot on their trail. Yeah.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider Verse - Sony seems to have figured out how to make good Spider-Man movies again, with last year's Homecoming and this one.

Venom - ...really hoping I don't speak too soon with this movie, but it does look interesting. Also, how many of these movies center on a villain?

White Boy Rick - Another true story, where a 15-year-old boy becomes a drug kingpin, then an informant. Yet another instance where I look at my life and compare it to someone else's and the comparison isn't favorable to me.

Widows - The widows of a group of criminals find themselves having to settle their husbands' debts. What a cast.

Let me tell you: having to list these movies and why I'm seeing them. I did not miss it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home