Mr. Cellophane

In a location adjacent to a place in a city of some significance, what comes out of my head is plastered on the walls of this blog.

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

If only flights to San Diego were as cheap as their Airbnbs.

And you just know that those Airbnbs are filling up like crazy. (BTW, I'm glad I managed to get one for my trip to Toronto, but I'll elaborate in September.)

Also, there don't seem to have been any Twitter puzzles allowing people to go. Odd.

Thursday

6th Annual Musical Anatomy of a Superhero (10:00a - Indigo Ballroom) - Ah, film music. One of cinema's most emotionally effective and yet, taken-for-granted aspects. It's always nice to hear about composers talking about their craft (and speaking of which, what I wouldn't give to go back to Fans of Film Music).

You're Wrong, Leonard Maltin! (11:30a - Room 24ABC) - Cats Don't Dance. Shoot 'em Up. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. The Adventures of Tintin. Man, has he missed the mark over the years. I'd love the chance to argue the awesomeness of these movies.

How to Make Cartoons When You Can't Draw (a.k.a. How to Write for Animation) (2:00p - Room 25 ABC) - Writing cartoons. The perfect job for a guy who loves watching cartoons and can write well, but can't draw for shit. Be real cool to do someday.

1988: Greatest Geek Year Ever - Yippie Kai Yay Edition (3:00p - Room 5AB) - One of these days, I'm going to this panel, as a panelist or a guest. Yakking about movies from that year. Sounds like it'd be a favorite.

We Wrote Your Childhood (4:00p - Room 7AB) - Another cartoon writers panel, but this one is made up of veterans of 90s shows. No doubt there are stories here.

I Can Fix It (5:00p - Room 7AB) - My brain is so disorganized, that whenever a post like this shows up on how you'd fix a narrative, I'm at a loss on how I'd do it. I'm sure, though, that others with organized minds will have better theories

Writing Great Dialogue (6:00p - Room 9) - I'm pretty damn sure I can write great dialogue already, but it never hurts to get some pointers..

ScreenJunkies: the Truth Behind Honest Trailers Plus Movie Fights! (7:15p - Room 6BCF) - I think I mentioned before that I only watch "Honest Trailers" on this channel, but it'd be cool to get some exposure to the rest of their stuff and maybe get into it.

Revenge of Name That Movie! (8:00p - Room 9) - Just once, I'd love to participate in this. I've watched a lot of movies in life. I'd like to think I'd do decently.

Friday

The Genius of Animation: Problem Solving in Character and Story (10:00a - Room 23ABC) - The fascinating thing about constantly developing projects in your head is that you can always make a change to something and, more often than not, that change is just what you needed. So many animated projects go through years of trial and error before reaching the screen. I'd sure like to know how different these were in development.

RetroFans Unite! (11:00a - Room 29AB) - I get the sense that this was before even my time, but it would still make for an entertaining panel.

Marvel's Black Panther Costume Designer Ruth Carter: Designing the Costumes of Wakanda (12:00p - Room 9) - When I make movies, she is definitely one of the designers I'll be working with. I'd love to hear her process for her work on this movie, an almost-certain third Oscar nomination.

Afro-Futurism: Black to the Future! (1:00p - Grand 9, Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina) - The future of African-Americans in Hollywood. I hope against hope that I'm included in that future.

[adult swim]: Robot Chicken (2:30p - Indigo Ballroom, Hilton San Diego Bayfront) - On the one hand, I feel myself falling out of love with the show. On the other...I guess I'd like to see where they go next.

DuckTales (3:30p - Room 6A) - Unlike a lot of Disney's current animated shows, this seems to have a strong balance of humor, excitement, long-game storytelling and characterization (with a buttload of fun Easter eggs for those who remember the Disney Afternoon).

Bob's Burgers (4:15p - Indigo Ballroom, Hilton San Diego Bayfront) - Not much to say that I haven't already said before. Here's to lots of laughs in the next season.

I'll Take Dementors for $500, Obi-Wan: A Fan Game Show (Heroes and Villains edition) (5:00p - Grand 9, Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina) - I've been dabbling in Geeks Who Drink specialty nights for a while, and while I didn't dominate like I wanted, it's still fun to take part in, just like I imagine these game show panels to be.

The Writer's Journey: Maximizing Your Potential in the New Marketplace (6:00p - Room 32AB) - Secrets in how to build a career these days. I'll take what I can get.

Twilight Zone Marathon Screenings (7:15p - Room 6A) - Granted, there are a lot of panels about writing and writers here, but I think I could learn best at the feet of Rod Serling.

Super Geeked Up: Geeky Improv Live! (9:00p - Room 25ABC) - Maybe I'd enjoy this geek-themed variation on "Whose Line is it Anyway?", but you never know if you don't try.

Saturday

Unikitty! New Episode Premiere and Q&A (10:00a - Room 6A) - Cut from the same, 'goofy but funny' cloth as "Teen Titans Go!", I've been enjoying this show.

Agent Carter, We Know Her Value (12:00p - Grand 1 & 2, Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina) - There were only two seasons of this show and, let me tell you, that was not enough. One cannot get enough of Peggy Carter.

IFC's Stan Against Evil (1:00p - Room 7AB) - I really dig the show (and am pleased that a third season is in the offing, but one of these days, they're coming up with a crazy cliffhanger and IFC's gonna cut the legs out from under it), but the tipping point of choosing this over the other two panels at this time is that someone is gonna want John C. McGinley to call them a 'newbie' and why would I not want to see that?

Cartoon Network Creators: Drawing on Inspiration (2:00p - Room 25ABC) - It's gonna be a real treat hearing from the creators of "Craig of the Creek" (delightful), "We Bare Bears" (uneven but good), "Victor and Valentino" (don't think it's aired yet) and "Summer Camp Island" (cutesy, though fairly entertaining).

Batman: the Animated Series on Blu-Ray (4:15p - Room 6DE) - A retrospective of one of the best cartoons of the 1990s with the people who helped bring it to life. Need more be said?

Deadpool 2 (5:15p - Hall H) - It'd be a struggle to get in, never mind rushing from the previous panel, but it's a Deadpool panel. Dollars to donuts, people will be gathering early in the morning and sitting through everything else to get to this.

Totally Awesome: the Greatest Cartoons of the 80s (7:00p - Room 25ABC) - Okay, so roughly half the cartoons from that era were a) poorly animated, b) cutesy garbage or c) barely disguised toy commercials. Still, it'd be nice to look back at the good ones...provided nostalgia doesn't keep the panelists from distinguishing the difference.

25 Years with The Nightmare Before Christmas with D23: The Official Disney Fan Club (7:45p - Room 6BCF) - From its lovely stop-motion to the fascinating story to its unimpeachable soundtrack, this is just about a perfect feature, and I would love to hear how it came together.

Sunday

Riverdale: Special Video Presentation and Q&A (11:45a - Hall H) - Though it ramped up the crazy in its second season, I am really digging this show and I can't wait to see what happens in the third season.

Harlan Ellison: A Celebration of His Life and Works (3:00p - Room 6DE) - Ah, to have the discipline to create literary masterworks...and to be so good, you can get away with a 'suffer no fools' attitude. Living the dream, he was.

Wally Wingert: I Was Cosplay Before Cosplay Was Cool! (4:00p - Room 4) - Apparently, voice actor Wingert (Invader Zim, Tokyo Pig) has a rich history of cosplaying. I'd be curious to hear about it.

And now, for something completely different. Here are the panels I'd have a conflict with if I got to go...or panels that would seem to be perfect for me, but...


Thur
Behind the Music 10th Anniversary: Crime, Death and Resurrection (10:00a - Room 25ABC) - Two composer panels at the same time. How dare you! But it is mostly television composers, so not that big a loss.
We're Not from 'Round Here: Star vs. the Forces of Evil and Big City Greens (10:00a - Room 6DE) - It's like this: "Star vs..." was an amusing diversion for a while, but then, it got too ship-happy and lost in its own mythology (and the casting off of Jackie Lynn Thomas like dead skin rubbed me the wrong way). And "Big City Greens"...I'd be willing to bet eyeteeth that Disney's thinking went something like this: "That selfish bastard only gave us two seasons of 'Gravity Falls'. We need more of it...or maybe, we need something just like it." Only, they gave the characters jaundice in order to avoid a lawsuit. Shameful.
20th Century Fox: The Predator (10:30a - Hall H) - As a writer or a director, Shane Black can do no wrong. Definitely looking forward to this. Still, Thursday in Hall H. A madhouse, I tells ya.
TMNT Reboot: Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1:45p - Room 6A) - Maybe, it's because I'm too wedded to the "Ninja Turtles" series before it (did it even have an ending?), but I'm not too excited about this show.
Supergirl 1984 - The Warner Archive Collection Blu-Ray! (4:30p - Room 6DE) - Morbid curiosity and a vague recollection of having seen the film in the past compel me to find out if there's anything worthwhile about this film besides the music. Maybe, one day.
Shooting Clerks: the Kevin Smith Biopic (6:45p - Room 6A) - Not sure how a situation like this could be dramatized, but I look forward to the effort.

Fri
Intro to TV Writing (10:00a - Room 4) - I could use the knowledge in how to write for TV (my skill set is features), but the lure of hearing about what could've been is too strong.
The Black Panel (10:00a - Room 5AB) - I'd like to see or be on this panel just once, but I can't help but think that the room would be too political for me.
Teen Titans Go! to the Movies (12:00p - Horton Grand Theatre) - Who's to know if there would be more or less children in a theatrical setting? I greatly prefer less.
What is the Best Superpower? (1:00p - Room 25ABC) - Who hasn't asked themselves (or others) this question, at some point? For me, the answer is shapeshifting, without a doubt.
Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus! (1:00p - Room 6A) - So Nickelodeon is bringing this back? New management, no question. Might be interesting.
Trailer Park (2:45p - Hall H) - I cannot say this enough: you put a line-up of trailers in front of me and I will watch. Still, most of these will be online within weeks, so I can wait.
It Was 50 Years Ago Today: Celebrating Planet of the Apes, 2001: a Space Odyssey and Rosemary's Baby: Geek's Ground Zero (4:30p - Room 5AB) - Fun as it would be hearing about fan theories and life-changing viewings, I haven't seen any of these movies. Messed up, I know.
Bumblebee (5:00p - Hall H) - A Transformers movie that won't insult people's intelligence. I guess if you live long enough, anything can happen.
Pop Culture Witches (5:00p - Room 23ABC) - Women with powers to cut down adversaries. Boy, could we use them now.
Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas 25th Anniversary Screening (7:00p - Horton Grand Theatre) - I don't know. I can watch this any time of year.

Sat
Saturday Morning Cartoon Jam with IDW (10:00a - Room 23ABC) - As much as I enjoy comic books based on cartoons, it seems pretty right to actually watch a cartoon on Saturday mornings.
This is Your Life, Jonny Quest (11:30a - Room 5AB) - Truth be told, I'm more familiar with (and fond of) the 90s "Real Adventures" reboot than the vintage series. Also, did I read that there's gonna be a crossover with "Tom and Jerry"? In the tradition of similar "crossovers" like with The Wizard of Oz and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory? Do people even like Tom and Jerry anymore?!
Big Hero 6 the Series: Heroes Return (12:30p - Room 6A) - Been watching the show and, I gotta say, I don't like it as much as I want. Don't get me wrong: I enjoyed the movie and Mark McCorkle/Bob Schooley shows have never been less than watchable, but...well, the girl who hates regular Hiro, but crushes on hero Hiro is basically Cindy Vortex 2.0 (always a bad sign), the villains (with the exception of creepy ninja lady from 'Aunt Cass Meets Gordon Ramsay' - not the actual episode title, but it may as well have been) are various shades of annoying, even the uber-played out 'shadowy villain manipulating things from behind the scenes' and the more I see of Krei, the more I think, "Maybe they should've let Callaghan kill him.". But that's just me.
American Dad! (1:00p - Ballroom 20) - The TBS episodes have been pretty hit or miss for me, but that the VAs for Steve and his friends are present seems like an interesting change.
Cartoon Voices I (1:00p - Room 6BCF) - I can never resist a good voice actors panel, but if I had to choose between reading of a fairy tale and reading of a movie script, 'movie script' wins every time.
Supergirl: Special Video Presentation and Q&A (3:30p - Ballroom 20) - I hate to say it, but with the third season, this show is teetering dangerously close to 'watching it out of obligation' territory, which is unfortunate as I was a huge champion of it back in the day.
The Orville (4:00p - Indigo Ballroom, San Diego Hilton Bayfront) - Basically Seth MacFarlane doing "Star Trek" fanfiction, but it's entertaining enough. Still, "Batman: the Animated Series". What can I do?
EW: Women Who Kick Ass (4:00p - Hall H) - The main attraction for me is Camila Mendes, who I have such a ridiculous crush on, but again, "Batman".
An Evening with Kevin Smith (6:45p - Hall H) - Certainly recently, but Smith has always been better at speaking than making movies and who wouldn't love to hear about him staring Death in the face and not blinking?

Sun
Cartoon Voices II (11:45a - Room 6A) - I really think I'd be able to get into Hall H on a Sunday. Just a handful of panels, really and would I be missing much with the other voices panel?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home