Mr. Cellophane

In a location adjacent to a place in a city of some significance, what comes out of my head is plastered on the walls of this blog.

Friday, March 09, 2007

Straight from the realm of 'WTF?!'

Kung Fu Hustle is available at YouTube. I've no problem with that. It's a pretty good action-comedy, bolstered by its deliberately cartoonish CG effects.

Here's the kicker, though: it, apparently, has been dubbed into English. I'm not going to go into some complicated analysis of dubbing vs. subbing. I'll just say that the part I watched (when the two assassins use notes from a giant string instrument to kill their victims - one of my favorite scenes) felt...very off. The scenery was as cool as ever, but hearing it in English as opposed to Cantonese (the film was released with subtitles) was quite jarring. Even more, the job didn't sound as professional as the dub work on Stephen Chow's previous Shaolin Soccer. It kind of felt like the wrong people were doing the roles (the VA for Brother Sum, in particular).

What's funny is that I don't ever remember hearing about a dub of this movie before this point. Odd. Anyway, judge for yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home