Mr. Cellophane

In a location adjacent to a place in a city of some significance, what comes out of my head is plastered on the walls of this blog.

Sunday, March 07, 2010

My Oscar post.

I don't want to call it a liveblog ('cause, really, what would be the point; no one else comes here), but I'm going to be making observations about the ceremony as it happens.

8:30 Introducing the nominees for Best Actor and Actress.

8:31 Yep, that's Marc Shaiman doing the music. NPH doing a catchy and funny musical number.

8:34 Holy crap, is Antonio Banderas up for the lead in a Sebastian Cabot biopic?!

8:35 Nice intro, Steve.

8:43 Cloondawg does not look happy.

8:48 Supporting Actor goes to...Christoph Waltz (1/23)!

8:50 Ryan Reynolds introducing The Blind Side. I'm still surprised that it was nominated.

8:56 Talking to the stars of the nominated features. Weird gimmick, but it's working, esp. the bit about The Princess and the Frog.

8:59 Animated Feature goes to...Up (2/23)! Predictable, yes, but still deserving.

9:04 Original Song goes to..."The Weary Kind" from Crazy Heart. All due respect to Jeff Bridges, but ever since I heard about it, I couldn't believe it and still can't: Colin Farrell as a country singer?!

9:05 Chris Pine introducing District 9.

9:13 Robert Downey, Jr. "...that actress that I hate." Wait, what?

9:15 Original Screenplay goes to...The Hurt Locker. Not my choice, but Mark Boal was actually in the soup before going into writing, so more power to him.

9:18 A very nice tribute to John Hughes.

9:24 Samuel L. Jackson introducing Up.

9:27 "It is my pleasure to introduce two beautiful actress, because I'm tired of introducing all these ugly actresses."

9:29 Talking to people who used short films as a springboard to big careers. I've got some ideas in the oven.

9:31 Animated Short Subject goes to..."Logorama". Okay, the brief clip looks interesting.

9:34 Documentary Short Subject goes to..."Music by Prudence" (3/23). I chose this one based on the title.

9:35 Live Action Short Subject goes to..."The New Tenants".

9:39 Ben Stiller as a Na'vi. It likely was a better idea in rehearsal.

9:41 Makeup goes to...Star Trek. (4/23)

9:44 Jeff Bridges introducing A Serious Man.

9:50 Adapted Screenplay goes to...Precious. Nice speech by Geoffrey Fletcher...somewhat ruined by Steve Martin's quip.

9:55 The Governor's Ball honoring Roger Corman, Lauren Bacall, cinematographer Gordon Willis and executive John Calley.

9:59 Supporting Actress goes to...Mo'Nique(5/23). Another heartfelt speech.

10:07 Art Direction goes to...Avatar. And so it begins.

10:10 Costume Design goes to...The Young Victoria. Nice comment by Sandy Powell about how the designers of modern and low-budget films deserve recognition as much as the costume drama nods.

10:12 Charlize Theron introducing Precious. Somehow, I think she should have done District 9.

10:18 A tribute to horror. Among other things, nice transition from "Tubular Bells" to the Halloween theme.

10:23 A nice explanation of how Sound Mixing and Editing work and an amusing bit from Morgan Freeman.

10:25 Sound Mixing goes to...The Hurt Locker. Quite well-deserved, it seems. Seeing the winner, I'm reminded of a bit from Funny People. I'm sure you all know the one.

10:27 Sound Editing goes to...The Hurt Locker. Having already said his peace, I think he should've let the other guy speak.

10:29 John Travolta introducing Inglourious Basterds.

10:36 Cinematography goes to...Avatar. I liked Mauro Fiore's work on The Island and Smokin' Aces and I look forward to seeing his work on The A-Team. I'm not kidding.

10:37 Demi Moore. She's alive!

10:38 In Memoriam. But what of (off the top of my head) Farrah Fawcett, Ed McMahon and Leonard Rosenman?

10:45 Original Score. Finally! However, interpretive dancers? Did I hit my head and wake up in 1998? The award goes to...Up (6/23)! Fuckin' A! Maybe now, Disney will release it in stores.

10:54 Visual Effects goes to...Avatar (7/23). Saw that comin'.

10:57 Jason Bateman introducing Up in the Air. Hopefully, he'll get his chance at an Oscar.

10:58 Cloondawg seems to have lightened up. He was jamming to Zimmer's Sherlock Holmes.

11:04 Documentary Feature goes to...The Cove (8/23). Seriously, Academy Award winner Fisher Stevens. Go figure.

11:06 Tyler Perry: "My name at the Oscars. I better get used to that, 'cause that'll probably never happen again."

11:07 Editing goes to...The Hurt Locker. Wait. Bob Murawski and Chris Innis...man and wife? I did not see that coming.

11:09 Keanu Reeves introducing The Hurt Locker. I just got the connection. "I am an FBI agent!"

11:15 Nino Rota's Amarcord! Really, this should've won in 1974. Awesome score.

11:16 Foreign Film goes to...The Secret in Their Eyes.

11:19 Kathy Bates introducing Avatar. Nope, still not seeing the appeal.

11:25 Past and present co-stars offering anecdotes on the nominees for Best Actor.

11:32 Actor goes to...Jeff Bridges (9/23)! A nice valedictory, I think.

11:42 Now, the same thing is being done for Best Actress.

11:49 Actress goes to...Sandra Bullock?! Good for her, but...I'm taken aback.

11:55 Director goes to...Kathryn Bigelow (10/23).

11:58 Picture goes to...The Hurt Locker (11/23)! Maybe it's about time for me to see it.

And so ends another Oscar ceremony. Can't wait to do it all over again next year.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home