Mr. Cellophane

In a location adjacent to a place in a city of some significance, what comes out of my head is plastered on the walls of this blog.

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Seasonal rot.

I mentioned recently how I've fallen in love with the show "Malcolm in the Middle". Sadly, both Nick-at-Nite and FX are currently cycling through the first season. With a handful of exceptions (the episode "Stock Car Races", certain plots at the military school, Hal's 'birds and the bees' speech in "Cheerleader"), I'm disengaged with these episodes. Yet, paradoxically, this is the only season currently available on DVD (and double dumbass on you, 20th Century Fox! Here's an idea that'd be a stone-cold hoot for everyone: instead of spending valuable cash on something like Marmaduke, you could put together season sets of "Malcolm". This way, something of value gets put into the marketplace and you can look yourselves in the mirror without puking. Sounds like a win-win in my book.).

This kind of got me to thinking: why is it that some first seasons of TV shows are blah while others are near perfect? By definition, the first season is when the cast and crew are trying things out; seeing what works and what doesn't. In my experience, I've seen a lot of shows reach both ends of the spectrum, such as:

"I got it, I got it..."

Kim Possible: Seldom an unwatchable show, but before the forced shipping and ridiculous slang that would shame Diablo Cody, this show provided a strong mix of high school and adventure plotting. Not every episode hit the mark, but the home runs this show hit (far more than in any following season) were remarkable ("Sink or Swim", "Tick-Tick-Tick", "Low Budget", "Kimitation Nation", "Number One", "Attack of the Killer Bebes", "Mind Games", "Pain King vs. Cleopatra").

The Drew Carey Show: This show knew what it wanted to be right out the gate. The writing and rapport between the cast made this a fantastic show for its first few seasons.

The Fairly Oddparents: I don't think there's a soul that'd argue in favor of the later episodes. The first six are still hilarious and inventive, if cheapened by the current run.

"...I ain't got it."

The Kids in the Hall: Some fine sketches broken up by stretches of monotony. Put it like this: when I buy the seasons on DVD, I'm getting this one last.

Futurama: Though I like Billy West's Burgess Meredith impression for Farnsworth in these earlier episodes, I can't help but see the show struggling to find its footing.

The Angry Beavers: Perhaps I've said this too much, but I really believe the show went from fair to classic once the premise changed from 'ultra-smooth beaver and his dorky brother' to 'word-stretching beaver exasperated by the antics of his childlike brother'. The first season is built on the former, alas.

I just know that there are more shows, not just ones I've never seen, but, particularly, the ones I have.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home