Mr. Cellophane

In a location adjacent to a place in a city of some significance, what comes out of my head is plastered on the walls of this blog.

Sunday, July 13, 2014

July 24th, 7:13amish, I guess.

"Pick a name."

I can barely hear Glen's voice. I'm still asleep. I feel someone (him?) shaking me.

"Pick a name."

Not really comprehending what's happening, I mumble something out.

July 24th, 7:13am...for real.

I wake up, stiff as a board. Two chairs does not a bed make. Glen's staring me in the face.

"Good morning, Shep."

I shake my head. "I beg your pardon?"

"Shep Franklin. The name you gave me last night." He hands me a license.

"Anchorage, Alaska?"

"Hard to trace. Thousands of people go to San Diego Comic-Con every year. A few people try to game the system, which they do, thanks to guys like me. Sound off!"

"Dexter Baxter: Grand Rapids, Michigan!"

"Lila St. Lawrence: Wilmington, North Carolina!"

"Monty Cliff: London, Ontario!"

"Valk Ilmer: New Orleans, Louisiana!"

"Peggy Salt: Buffalo, New York!" My eyes widen. Glen points to me.

"Oh. Shep Franklin: Anchorage, Alaska."

"Now, it is important that none of you are seen together at the Con. People start putting things together, it could prove dangerous for the operation. All of you leave in shifts. One of you leaves at 9:00, then 9:15, then 9:30 and so on."

'Monty' raises his hand. "How do we determine who leaves first?"

9:45am

A bunch of numbers, 1 to 6, in a hat. I was fourth.

Had a nice breakfast. Thankfully, I had some money squirrelled away in my luggage.

Just waiting for the shuttle bus to Comic-Con. Too bad we can't be seen together. Peggy's kind of cute.

10:08am

My ID and badge checked out. Must be some good hacking that made that happen.

I head for the convention floor. Just as big as I remember.

Not even here for 15 minutes and I've seen six pairs of girls as Frozen's Anna and Elsa. Probably thinking they'd be the only ones.

I can't find any of my fellow...shall I say, Con-victs. Okay. That shit is sticking.

10:37am

Settling in for Behind the Music: Crime, Death and Resurrection. Actually, I've been here since 10:30. Other people are finding their seats.

The composers gather on stage to wild applause. Of course, I'm a part of it.

11:12am

Caught a clip of Deliver Us from Evil. Neat score. Hope it gets a release. Looks like they're playing a clip of "Fargo". One of those shows I keep meaning to get into, but don't. I should be less lazy about this.

11:35pm

Yet another Anna and Elsa, with a little baby dressed as Olaf. How darling.

Plenty of cosplay to absorb, but I'm a little hungry. Only one place on my mind.

12:07pm

La Puerta!

Good thing that nearly everyone is still at the Con. Plenty of seats available.

I've already ordered the Southern Cal Burrito.

I glance around the restaurant. Wow. Sitting at a far-off table..."Peggy".

Glen told us not to associate at the Con...but we're in a restaurant. Fair game.

I sit at her table. "Hello."

"Hi, Shep."

"Yeah. What brings you here?"

"Heard about this place online. My next panel isn't until two. Figured I'd give it a shot."

"You're gonna love it."

"Anything you recommend?"

"I already ordered the Southern Cal Burrito. Care to split it?"

'Peggy' laughs a little. "You're not worried about germs?"

"I don't know. Maybe, you could save some cash."

"Thanks, anyway."

"Nice to meet you."

"You too, Shep."

I go back to my table. She's a nice-looking girl: brown hair, pretty face, sweet voice.

Have I done it again: have I bumbled into a relationship with a girl who, by all logic, should be out of my league?

I guess so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home