Mr. Cellophane

In a location adjacent to a place in a city of some significance, what comes out of my head is plastered on the walls of this blog.

Monday, July 11, 2016

A smaller Taste.

This year, I had to work on a weekend (counting at a tire factory - simultaneously, the easiest and most tedious work I've ever endured), but would I let that stop me from enjoying the Taste of Buffalo? No way in hell. (Of course, the fact that my cash flow was diminished from past years may have been a liability.)

As I'd been a fan of Potato Pancakes (Ulrich's 1868 Tavern) since at least the 6th grade, I felt I had to try them. A little thick, but tasty, with just the right amount of salt. Wasn't really expecting the applesauce on the side, though.

Once again, I found myself drawn to the Great Balls of Fire (Joe's Crab Shack) and once again, it was enjoyable, helped by the ranch dipping sauce.

I love tater tots. Enough said. I opted for the smaller size of the Loaded Tater Tots (Bar Louie), not only to save on tickets, but the spices were just as potent as last year.

As Zebb's was (disappointingly) sitting this year out, I was unable to procure my yearly surfeit* of Brownies. Thankfully, as far as dessert, there was the old standby of Peanut Butter Pie (Danny's Restaurant).

Given the money crunch, I couldn't splurge like I wanted. One example: I had to choose between two kinds of crab dip, but I think I made a good choice with the Lobster Crab Dip (Jack Astor's Bar and Grill).

One benefit of only having so many food tickets to toss around was that I was less likely to be disappointed with my selections. It's telling that the least impressive item was the Chicken Bacon Mac & Cheese (Bar Louie); though the ingredients were unevenly assembled, I still liked it.

I planned on spending my remaining tickets on another major meal item, but I soon said, 'To hell with it' and got myself another dessert: Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse Oreo Pie (Orazio's Restaurant). It was less a pie than a thick piece of fudge, but it finished the day off well.

I sincerely hope that things turn around enough that I have more money to throw around next year.

* - It sounded like the right word, but I wasn't 100%, so I had to look this up. Turns out that this was the right word. Isn't that a great feeling; using a word, then finding out it was the word you wanted?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home