Mr. Cellophane

In a location adjacent to a place in a city of some significance, what comes out of my head is plastered on the walls of this blog.

Sunday, January 28, 2024

How do you nominate Barbie without nominating Barbie?!

I had considered using a line from the title song of the movie Gold, but I had to say something.

- As of a few days ago, I saw five of the ten Best Picture nominees. My best ratio in years.

- Seriously, Margot Robbie gave a marvelous performance, the kind that (you would think) would guarantee an Oscar nomination. Weirdly, director Greta Gerwig was also snubbed. Someone tweeted this yesterday and they nailed it: "No nomination for (actress) Margot Robbie. No nomination for [director] Greta Gerwig. Ryan Gosling* gets an Oscar nomination. This is actually the whole plot of Barbie." Just imagine Sophie's Choice if it was nominated in every category but Best Actress.
* - Gosling was terrific, but the point remains.

- Other snubs: Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret., Supporting Actors Dominic Sessa (a stunning debut in The Holdovers), Glenn Howerton (the highlight of BlackBerry) and Charles Melton (didn't see May December, but as a "Riverdale" fan, the buzz had me jazzed), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem (more deserving of a nod than Nimona) and Dumb Money.

- It's nice that the scores for the four best Indiana Jones movies have been Oscar-nominated.

- I didn't love American Fiction as much as I wanted to, but I'm still pleased it landed five nominations.

- First-time nominees: Emily Blunt, Danielle Brooks, Sterling K. Brown, Colman Domingo, America Ferrera, Lily Gladstone, Sandra Huller, Cillian Murphy, Da'Vine Joy Randolph and Jeffrey Wright.

- I don't really have much more to say. My Barbie complaint took the wind out of me. March 10th. Be there or be square.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home