Mr. Cellophane

In a location adjacent to a place in a city of some significance, what comes out of my head is plastered on the walls of this blog.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Three years sober.

One of my many hobbies is writing fan fictions. To commemorate the third anniversary of the first story I ever wrote, I would like to expose to you, the blog-reading public, my complete works.

A lot of people usually write stories that are continuations of movies, television shows, books and comics. I mainly gravitate toward cartoons, as reader and writer. The stories I’ve written seldom veer away from a few fandoms: “Hey Arnold!” (HA!), “Kim Possible” (KP), “Danny Phantom” (DP) and “The Fairly Oddparents” (FOP). Fanfiction represents, to me, a chance to hone my writing skills and seek some entertainment. I like to think I’ve gotten better over time. The fact that I’ve stopped using headings for each scene change (a side-effect of my burgeoning career as a screenwriter) is such an example.

Here are my fan fictions, plus a little comment on each:

“Love Hurts (no, really!)” (HA!; Arnold is still torn between Helga, now a writer, and Lila, an aspiring actress.) - My first ever story. Though I made an outline, as I did for all of my multi-chapter stories, this had kind of a ‘made up as I went along’ feel, especially when you consider the latter half.

“The 40th Night” (40 Days and 40 Nights) - I f**king hate the next-to-last scene of this movie; hateful, pointless, disgusting. It ruined what could have been a passable youth sex comedy. This serves as a good example of a not-bad piece of advice: “When in doubt, make stuff up.”

“Love Probably” (HA!; Helga gets married, and the groom isn’t Arnold.) - Not to put too fine a point on it, but I’ve never liked the pairing. I have my reasons. Having her go toe to toe with another guy, especially one willing to put up with her attitude was interesting, and the ending, in my opinion, is one of my proudest moments as a fanfic writer.

“Behind the Door” (KP; College roommates Kim and Bonnie find surprising comfort one night.) - My first and only lemon. It’s pretty good, though I can’t help but wonder if I made it dirty enough. Now, I’m not the type to hold chapters hostage if I don’t get reviews, but if someone were to contact me directly about a follow-up…well, we’ll see.

“Hearts Afire” (KP; Only days before the school dance, the students of Middleton High find themselves in various romantic entanglements.) - I love ensemble stories, so the idea of writing one was a joy. Also, I liked running through various stages of love, adding to the variety.

“Someone to Watch Over Me” (DP; Sam has a terrible nightmare, but there is hope to stop it.) Yes, this one-shot is perfectly indistinguishable from the thousands of fluffy D/S stories at the site, but it means much to me, as it is my one and only songfic and the rare story of mine inspired by a picture, as opposed to the other way around.

“Life Goes On” (FOP; Timmy and Tootie are, at last, a couple, but a pair of adversaries won’t let them be.) - My first “Fairly Oddparents” story and one of my overall best. Re-writing these characters to be recognizably human is always fun, almost like they were my own.

“One Girl’s Musings” (KP; Tara tells all about the one that got away.) - A lot of the show’s fans - read: all of them - support Kim/Ron. I am among them, but I also feel that a great opportunity was squandered by casting off the possibility of Ron/Tara. I imagine that she felt sad about this. Hell, if someone you loved didn’t know you loved them, wouldn’t you be?

“From A to Z” (KP; Zita reflects on her life and friendships.) - In the shuffle of the third season, it’s like Zita, of “Grudge Match”, was swept under the rug, which is unfair. I just wanted to see her side of the aborted relationship between her and Ron.

“Wanna Play?” (KP; A young girl has trouble fitting in on the first day of kindergarten.) - One of those stories inspired by someone else’s picture. This indelible image cried out for some kind of literary accompaniment.

“Cutter’s Way” (KP; A real estate agent is kidnapped and forced to perform an assassination, leaving her son - Josh - looking for answers.) - Almost no one at the site is willing to develop Josh beyond the roadblock to Kim/Ron. I enjoyed having carte blanche on developing him and his family.

“All of Me” (FOP; Tim’s serene family life is interrupted by an intruder…one he can’t see.) - I liked doing a ‘Jekyll and Hyde’ story with Tim. Bringing back Cosmo and Wanda for his kids was interesting, as well (and much more organic than the ending of “Channel Chasers”).

“Sister Act” (KP; Bonnie is confronted by her sisters, who have something to tell her.) - The episode “Bonding” was a puzzler. It actually asked me to feel sorry for the one-dimensional girl, which was a mistake. That it did so using characters with even less dimensions made for an even worse mistake. This is just my opinion, of course, but one can’t deny the hint of truth.

“Last Dance” (DP; After the events of “Parental Bonding”, this young man could use a dance.) - Still my fave episode, and the ending, to me at least, could have been built upon.

“Anything is Possible” (KP; Simply put, what if, in “Sink or Swim”, Ron didn’t make it back to the cheer squad in time to avert their mutations?) - My second fave episode, but I couldn’t help but wonder ‘what if?’. I really enjoyed going over the top with the wackiness and risqué business. (Note: the sadly short-lived Adult Swim acquisition “Shin-Chan” very much reminds me of what I did here…but those guys went even further with it, God bless them.)

“Blushin’ Roulette” (KP; Her life in danger due to one of Drakken’s schemes, Kim decides to stay at home, little dreaming that this doctor makes house calls.) - The episode “Blush” is pretty decent…then Kim accepts Josh’s offer to go out and, like a contact lens in a fog, it lost me. There is great potential and imagination in the idea of Kim disappearing bit by bit. Sadly, on the episode, this was not to be. However, I think my story does a pretty good job. (Note: I was still on a kick after writing “Anything…”, so watch for some…naughty bits.)

“Christmas Rush” (FOP; Having to play ‘Secret Santa’ for Tootie, Timmy finds out what she wants for Christmas.) - Somehow, I think this would’ve made for a better holiday episode than what got made. It’s clever, funny and touching - everything you could want for the season.

“Some of a Batch” (FOP; An assortment of stories, some funny, some touching and some…strange.) - I’ve gotten a lot of mileage out of these stories. It’s pretty neat creating a different universe every month.

“Tricksy” (FOP; Feeling that ‘the only way to win Timmy's heart is if I could be like Trixie Tang’, Tootie wishes to be like the rich girl.) - Very, very loosely based on a piece of fanart I encountered at DeviantArt. Think of it as “Fairly OddPersona“ (an Ingmar Bergman film). I think that this story, much like “Christmas Rush”, could’ve been an actual episode of the show…that is if the writers hadn’t exhausted the single brain cell between them. Not only did fill the story with humor and heart, but I also got to indulge my love of transformations.

“A Hole in the Head” (FOP; Inexplicable nightmares are another thing that a sullen, 26-year-old Timothy Turner deals with while working at a mental institution.) - Looking back, I had a lot of fun mining my emotional pain for a fanfic. This marks another of those rare times writing from first person POV. Hell, that’s how I view my life sometimes, so it kind of fits.

“I’ve Got a Secret” (DP; After a close encounter with Jazz, Tucker can’t get her out of his mind.) - This couple may never be recognized on the show (and I thank Heaven for that), but it is quite attractive and a number of talented writers have made much of it. Besides, the geeky Black dude ending up with the cute, brainy redhead…what’s not to love?

“Turnerabout” (FOP; A trip to the museum gives Timmy and Tootie new outlooks on life.) - Now, I’m still in the midst of writing this, but I think it’s shaping out pretty good. See for yourself.

I do hope that more people read these. I know I’m good, but I can’t be sure if others don’t tell me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home