Mr. Cellophane

In a location adjacent to a place in a city of some significance, what comes out of my head is plastered on the walls of this blog.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Oscar post - nominations.

Don't really feel like a cute title. Let's just get to it.

+ Annette Bening was nominated for The Kids Are All Right. I think she might have a real shot this year, for two reasons: a) her co-star Julianne Moore wasn't nominated and there's no risk of the two nods cancelling each other out and b) Hilary Swank was passed over for Conviction. If that isn't a good sign for her, I don't know what is.

+ A record: I've seen six of the Best Picture nominees - Black Swan, Inception, The King's Speech, The Social Network, Toy Story 3 and True Grit.

- I just knew the Academy would puss out and nominate The Social Network for Best Original Score. The only piece of music I recall from the film is the (admittedly awesome) cover of "In the Hall of the Mountain King". I don't think I can trust the Music Branch anymore if this wins, especially over How to Train Your Dragon (Powell's first nomination and it's about damn time!).

+ Roger Deakins's ninth Cinematography nod for True Grit. Even Susan Lucci eventually got an Emmy. This has to be his year. At least, it better be.

- Three nominees for Best Animated Feature: one I felt was somewhat overrated, one that hasn't even made it to my neck of the woods and one that already has a Best Picture nomination.

+ "Day and Night" was nominated for Best Animated Short Subject. Truly a deserving and enjoyable work.

+ Only four nominees for Best Original Song. I guess the Academy didn't want to live with the fact that they'd have nominated Burlesque for anything.

- A moment of silence for those who didn't get nominated, but should have: Andrew Garfield, Justin Timberlake (I'm dead serious), Jim Carrey (again, dead serious), Mila Kunis, Vincent Cassel and Danny Elfman (say what you wish about Alice in Wonderland, but his music was awesome).

+ Speaking of Alice in Wonderland...though I liked the film, I'm elated that no one took its push for Best Picture seriously.

- At Cartoon Brew (and I meant to post this when I first saw it, but forgot about it), there was a Best Supporting Actor ad for Walt Dohrn as the voice of Rumplestiltskin in Shrek Forever After. Even I knew that it wouldn't have happened in a million years, it was nice to see that someone else felt that Dohrn's performance was the best thing about that film.

That's pretty much it, I think.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home