Mr. Cellophane

In a location adjacent to a place in a city of some significance, what comes out of my head is plastered on the walls of this blog.

Monday, June 18, 2012

Ten things you may not know about my trip to Manhattan.

And by 'you may not know', I (of course) mean 'I forgot to tell you'. In random order:

1. At that breakfast buffet on Monday, I got to sample a frittata. I totally want to work that into my routine.

2. There were a number of minor celebrities at the Con. One of them was Brian O' Halloran from Clerks. I fought the urge to go to his table and ask him if he was even supposed to be there today, because I'm sure that, in the 18 years since that movie's release, no one has ever asked him that before.

3. My copy of La La Land's Batman: Mask of the Phantasm soundtrack now bears the signatures of Kevin Conroy, Andrea Romano and Bruce W. Timm (who didn't even know that this was released).

4. I got to meet Tom Kenny and shake his hand. In addition to talented, a heck of a nice guy.

5. On Sunday night, I went to see The Big Year at a Regal Cinemas in Times Square (it was a choice between this and Footloose at the AMC across the street). I was one of four people in the screening room. The others were three women whose average age, I suspect, was 50.

6. My original plan had been to see Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. It was playing at a theater on 2nd Avenue. Given my unfamiliarity with Manhattan (and point #7), I had a certain squeamishness about venturing so far into the city.

7. The only real speed bump on the trip was the creepy Latino (Filipino?) guy that...honestly, it's been so long, I don't remember what he wanted, but I do remember running like hell to get away from him.

8. I snapped a picture of a billboard that featured a doctor with the nametag that said - hand to God - A. Ling.

9. Monday morning, I made a pilgrimage to Midtown Comics. This may well be the most interesting part of the list, so do pay attention. I had to check out of the Milford Plaza by a certain time and my shuttle bus to La Guardia was to arrive in the early afternoon, so I went up to 40th Street to check out their wares. Imagine my surprise to find that the store consisted of two floors of comics. Now, since I checked out, I'm carrying a suitcase, a backpack and a bag of action figures up and down two flights of stairs. It was at this moment that I figured, 'if I can do this and somehow not break my neck, there's not a goddamn thing on this planet I can't do'.

10. As I've mentioned, I love soundtracks. The urge to listen to the soundtrack to The Taking of Pelham One Two Three while riding the subway was overwhelming, but the ride was way too short. (I also stopped in front of the New York Public Library...and, yes, I hummed the opening music from Ghostbusters.)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home