Mr. Cellophane

In a location adjacent to a place in a city of some significance, what comes out of my head is plastered on the walls of this blog.

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Pissing in the Oscar pool.

Yeah.

Picture: Argo. a) It's been winning top film honors at several ceremonies and b) It's a damn good movie. The power of film is on full display in this tense thriller. As far as I'm concerned, people badmouthing this movie or challenging its fidelity to the truth just plain hate movies. There, I said it.
Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis. That is all.
Actress: I'm thinking...Jennifer Lawrence.
Supporting Actor: I'm hoping for another win for Christoph Waltz.
Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway, without a doubt.
Director: I'm going to assume that this has Spielberg written all over it.
Original Screenplay: I'm going to say Zero Dark Thirty, though I quite liked Django Unchained and Moonrise Kingdom.
Adapted Screenplay: Argo.
Editing: The editing in Argo was crisp, especially in the last couple reels.
Cinematography: If I directly say who I want to win, the chances are that he won't. I will say that he shares a first name with the alien on "American Dad" and a last name with the villain in Broken Arrow.
Production Design: For all I know, it's a two-man race between Les Miserables and Lincoln. At the finish line...Les Miz.
Costume Design: Despite the opulence of the Snow White designs, this will also be a triumph for Les Miserables. (BTW, did you know that Lincoln is Joanna Johnston's first nomination? I could've sworn she was already nominated twice.)
Animated Feature: ParaNorman. Best animated feature of last year...and this year, given the (so far) underwhelming offerings yet to come.
Animated Short Subject: "Head Over Heels" was quite impressive, but, as I said, "Paperman" is the popular favorite.
Live-Action Short Subject: Thinking it over, "Death of a Shadow" might walk away with it, being the most imaginative of the bunch.
Foreign Film: I imagine that they'll want to give something to Amour. Why not?
Visual Effects: Life of Pi, surely. The animal effects did look impressive in the previews.
Sound: Somehow, I see this going to Skyfall.
Sound Effects Editing: Likewise.
Make-Up: I've only seen Hitchcock of the nominees. It might win, but I hope that The Hobbit gets passed over. Why? Well, just read.
Original Score: I'd really like Thomas Newman to (finally) capture the prize for his eclectic Skyfall. However, I'm gonna say Argo. The film's gonna get as much as possible and while I thought the score was so-so, it'll be nice to see an Oscar finally go to Alexandre Desplat. I'll just pretend he won for Rise of the Guardians.
Original Song: "Everybody Needs a Best Friend". Charming song, I found "Skyfall" underwhelming and I haven't heard the other nominees.
Documentary Short Subject: Random pick time: "Open Heart".
Documentary Feature: RPT, part 2: "The Invisible War".

Well, tomorrow's the big day. Can't wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home