Mr. Cellophane

In a location adjacent to a place in a city of some significance, what comes out of my head is plastered on the walls of this blog.

Sunday, October 11, 2020

Yesterday, I watched Michael Winner's 1984 trashterpiece, Scream for Help, which was most notable for the breathtaking methods of padding things out so that no one believed the heroine until it was too late. One aspect that exceeded expectation was John Paul Jones's score. Not just in the use of the ondes martenot, but in the melodic construction, it was reminiscent of Elmer Bernstein (the presence of Christopher Palmer as one of the orchestrators may have had something to do with it).

I really believe that Winner wanted Bernstein to score the film, but decided against asking him because...well, if you've seen the film, I shouldn't have to elaborate*.

Such striking music, I certainly would want to check it out on YouTube. Listening to it now, it's a rock-based concept album (Jones is a Led Zeppelin member, after all) featuring nothing of the film's music save for the end credit song, "Christie". 

It seems I'm going to have to watch this piece-of-shit movie a second time for track listings. 2020 shits in my mouth yet again.

* - But then, Bernstein helped his son, Peter, on that year's Bolero. Beggars can't be choosers, I suppose.

And, hey, someone was nice enough to upload a taste of the score. Better than nothing:

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home