Mr. Cellophane

In a location adjacent to a place in a city of some significance, what comes out of my head is plastered on the walls of this blog.

Friday, May 09, 2008

Life at a standstill.

(I'm pretty sure I used this title for a post a long time ago, but I don't feel like checking.)

I have a steady job. I have no criminal record. I have a secure savings account. I have two college degrees. I have a caring family. I have a vast soundtrack collection. I am a 27-year-old African-American male...and my life sucks.

The last time I've been out of my hometown was a school trip to Virginia Beach in the 8th grade. More often than not - but certainly, recently - I was struck with the wrist-slittingly depressing feeling that I am going to die in this town without having done...anything.

My routine consists of (depending on the kind of day) a) getting up and dressed for work, working and wasting the time at home on the internet or b) wasting time on the internet, working and wasting more time. Not exactly a constructive routine.

With nearly five years at said steady job, I am sick of it. I want nothing more than to quit. My parents tell me to get another job. I don't want another job...at least, not immediately. I want to travel the country. I want to see the world. I want to try exotic foods. I want to sleep with strange women (hell, at this point, any woman is acceptable). I want...I just want.

The problem I have is that I'm scared. My routine (unfortunate though it may be) has made me too comfortable in this life to try anything else. Adding to that is the fact that I plan things out too much (and when they don't work out, I fall to pieces). I don't want to plan things out. I want to be stupid and reckless like everyone else.

I really don't know what else to say.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home