Mr. Cellophane

In a location adjacent to a place in a city of some significance, what comes out of my head is plastered on the walls of this blog.

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Top ten unreleased comedy scores.

I love watching comedies. As such, you come to notice the music in them...well, if you're so inclined toward film music as I am. Unfortunately, comedy scores don't tend to be big sellers for soundtrack labels, and, as such, they don't get considered for release as often as releases for other genres. But let's say I ran the asylum...well, one of them. Which comedy scores would I get released? Here is my list:
10. Mannequin (Sylvester Levay) - By simple dint of the fact that I loved the score (and the film, I'm man enough to admit that) when I was a kid. Synth-based (as was Levay's wont), with a pretty love theme and bouncy scoring.
9. Murder by Death (Dave Grusin) - Grusin wrote a lively score for the all-star send-up of literary detectives. Sadly, the elements for the score seem to be MIA. Maybe, someday...
8. Nothing But Trouble (Michael Kamen) - Kamen's comedy scores are often ignored (Splitting Heirs, Hudson Hawk) and his music is a good match for the wildly uneven but fairly amusing farce.
7. Real Men (Miles Goodman) - Once again, the elements are said to be lost for this score, but I refuse to give up hope. Perhaps my favorite Goodman; the scritchy violin and warbling voices are quite familiar to anyone who's seen the film.
6. Fatal Instinct (Richard Gibbs) - Gibbs was on an incredible run of enjoyable comedy scores in the early 90s (Clifford, Amos and Andrew, Once Upon a Crime, Ladybugs), but this one is tops for me. An amusing parody of noir tropes for the criminally underrated spoof.
5. National Lampoon's Animal House (Elmer Bernstein) - I imagine that this is on most people's 'comedy score want lists' and for good reason: straight music that doesn't underline the joke.
4. Down Periscope (Randy Edelman) - It may be forever and a day before specialty labels get around to releasing any Edelman scores, but I pray that this one is first in their minds. An exciting score with a terrific main theme.
3. Big Trouble (James Newton Howard) - One of Howard's most underappreciated scores (for the superlative ensemble comedy) is a flavorful effort rich in melodies, from the brassy action motif to the tropical love theme.
2. Take the Money and Run (Marvin Hamlisch) - Hamlisch's score for Woody Allen's first film is a wonderfully bouncy affair that deserves a release. What's more, it'd make a nice tribute to him.
1. High Anxiety (John Morris) - One of the first scores I ever appreciated, an engaging take-off of thriller scoring. Morris's scores for Mel Brooks films have been uniformly entertaining and this is no exception.
To quote a line from a classic comedy whose soundtrack was released a couple years back, "Well? We're waiting!"

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home