Mr. Cellophane

In a location adjacent to a place in a city of some significance, what comes out of my head is plastered on the walls of this blog.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

No need for reminiscing.

Today is Seikou Nagaoka's birthday (as well as John Addison's birthday, but that fact isn't terribly relevant to this post). As I do on every composer's birthday, that I know of, I play their music. The only music I have of Nagaoka's are the original Japanese soundtracks to "Tenchi Muyo!" and "Tenchi Universe".

Playing these CDs reminds me of how I picked them up over a decade ago in ebay auctions (each of them was $9.99) and how I'm transported back to the days of college when I'd watch "Tenchi" on Cartoon Network back when they had Toonami.

I haven't played these CDs in a long time, and I'm struck by how evocative this music is (not just in general, but evocative of the show and specific moments). Nagaoka's music is electronic (like a lot of anime soundtracks), but augmented by piano and sound design to create something magical.

I searched online this morning for information about track listings for the CDs, since all the type is in Japanese. What did I come up with? Bupkis. Thankfully, I remembered that I printed out track listings back when I first got the CDs. Thanks to a streaming site and a number of (surely now-defunct) fansites, I was able to follow the music and recall the moments they underscored.

As with the music, I haven't seen the shows in a long time. I think that would be the main hurdle in writing a review of this music, which I would really like to do someday.

I've encountered a number of anime since then, but (with the noted exception of the work of Yoko Kanno - "Cowboy Bebop") none of their soundtracks have made as strong an impression as Seikou Nagaoka's work on "Tenchi."

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home