Mr. Cellophane

In a location adjacent to a place in a city of some significance, what comes out of my head is plastered on the walls of this blog.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Dennis Farina (1944-2013)

First James Gandolfini and now him.

I find it interesting when someone goes from a consultant on a movie to playing the part, then parlaying that into a movie career (cf. R. Lee Ermey). Apparently, Farina was a cop in Chicago and consulting on Michael Mann's projects jump-started his acting career.

Perhaps my favorite of his performances (at least, I suppose, until I get around to seeing Midnight Run) is in Big Trouble. As hitman Henry DeSalvo, Farina underplays nicely, showing us a man who just wants to perform a job and, through the ridiculous frustrations that complicate that end, stays calm. (I wish I could upload the 'Joe's Stone Crab' scene, but YouTube let me down. Oh, well.)



He will be missed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home