Mr. Cellophane

In a location adjacent to a place in a city of some significance, what comes out of my head is plastered on the walls of this blog.

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Eileen Brennan (July 28th) - My first encounter with her was as the headmistress in The New Adventures of Pippi Longstocking. I was a child at the time, so my memory of her performance is hazy at best. (Sadly, my memory of having seen the film at all...clear as a bell.) As the years went on, I became aware of her other work, notably her Oscar-nominated performance in Private Benjamin. However, I think most people will remember her as the common link in two amusing murder-mystery sendups: Tess Skeffington in Murder by Death and Mrs. Peacock in Clue.

Michael Ansara (August 2nd) - In spite of his wide range of characters (and their nationalities), I know him best for two roles: a) his affecting voice work (and what a voice!) as Mr. Freeze on "Batman: the Animated Series" and b) John Singing Rock in The Manitou, bringing great conviction to a very silly (but endearingly so) horror movie.

Karen Black (August 8th) - This fine actress brought her distinctive looks and talent to everything from big studio fare (Family Plot, The Great Gatsby) to counterculture favorites (Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces) to genre pieces (House of 1000 Corpses, Trilogy of Terror, Burnt Offerings). Plus, I really enjoyed her scenes with Elliot Gould in Capricorn One.

They will all be missed.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home